How well do you know Pope Francis, the Roman Pontiff.
Pope Francis is the Bishop of Rome and the head of the Roman Catholic Church. His full name is Jorge Mario Bergoglio. These are some facts you may not know about about him.
1. Pope Francis was born Dec 17, 1936 n Buenos Aires, Argentina, one of five children born to an Italian railway worker and his wife.
2. He speaks Italian, German and Spanish fluently, in addition to a smattering of English, French and Portuguese. He can also speak a bit of the Piedmontaise dialect too.
3. He lost part of his lung to infection as a youth.
4. He had a girlfriend. “She was one of a group of friends I went dancing with. But then I discovered my religious vocation,” he said to Ambrogetti and Rubin.
5. Pope Francis worked as a bouncer in a Buenos Aires bar to earn money as a student.
6. He was a teacher of literature, psychology, philosophy and theology before becoming the Archbishop of Buenos Aires.
7. He used public transport rather than taxis or a chauffeured car to get around and lived in a small flat with an older priest and made all his own meals, despite having access to the Archbishop’s quarters and a chef.
8. During the 2005 conclave in which he was runner up, he was reportedly the victim of a smear campaign by other, more liberal members of the Jesuit order, who claimed that he never smiled.