Negligence: Boy May Never Speak After Drinking Drain Cleaner While Shopping With Mum

0
16

ll

Negligence: Boy May Never Speak After Drinking Drain Cleaner While Shopping With Mum.

A mum is scared her son may never speak again after he swallowed drain cleaner in a supermarket
According to Saira Faisal ,while her back was turned ,Ayman was just two-and-a-half years old when he picked up the bottle from a shelf at SAFA Superstore, and drank the liquid, leaving him unable to speak or eat.
The six-year-old was left with such severe burns that he now has to be fed through a tube in his stomach, according to the Manchester Evening News,
Saira, 37, says

“Ayman was strapped into his pushchair and I was reaching to get something. It was only for a few seconds, but when I turned back I saw his lips had gone purple and blue and there was blood coming out of his mouth.
“I didn’t know what it was or what had happened at first, I just knew it was something bad. I remember screaming at the staff to phone an ambulance while I tried to get as much as I could out with my hands.I was terrified. All I kept thinking was ‘please don’t let me lose my son.’”

He spent another five months on a general ward where doctors inserted a permanent tracheostomy tube into his neck so he can breathe. He also has a feeding tube in his stomach to enable him to eat.

Saira, who also suffered burns to her hands and feet, said she was frightened to leave her son alone in hospital.

“I couldn’t even hold him for the first few weeks and that broke my heart, but slowly he started to show signs of improvement, one tube came out and then another,” she said.
“Eventually he was moved to a general ward and I think it was only then that I started to believe he might survive.”

Saira has now launched legal action against the manufacturer, Active Brand Concepts Limited, and the owners of the Claremont Road shop SAFA Superstore, where the incident happened in January 2013.
Lawyers say Ayman should not have been able to remove the cap of the bottle and say it should have been displayed on a shelf out of reach of children.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here